Friday, November 11, 2011

Love and Honor



    A few weeks ago, my wife and I managed to find a babysitter, and slip away for a few hours to the local wine and dessert bar because one of her friends was having a birthday. While standing outside enjoying a cigar one of my wife’s friend’s husbands said “man look at all the fine ass out here tonight”. This guy is notorious for his absurdity, so much so that I have dubbed him "Meat Head"; I thought 'well he is the Meat Head, and he is probably just trying to make conversation' and lord knows that I have had my share of awkward moments in conversation with people I hardly know. But he said it time and time again, and just kept leering at whatever had their breasts pushed up at that particular moment. Eventually I just ignored him, found someone I knew and could converse with, and finished my cigar; all in all it was a rather enjoyable evening.

    Sometime later it was revealed that he was cheating, and has been for quite some time. He is now without his family, will have to pay child support, alimony, and will spend less time with his children, and a lady who loved him, for a few moments of breeding like an animal. What is it about our machismo culture today that commands men to roam around, and try to put our members where they do not belong? It is not virtuous, it is not manly, and in fact the only thing it leaves you with is herpes, and a broken family. 
What makes me a man, what makes me a gentleman is that I am a good provider, that I am a man of my word. That when I say I am going to do something I stand by it, and that includes a covenant taken in the eyes of God to honor my wife for life. When I say I will be there, I will be there, when I say I am going to fight someone, I mean it, and when I say I am going to love someone and honor them I mean that too. Far too many people lose sight of that life is about service, not hedonistic pleasure.

    The best way to look at this is say for instance, that your son or daughter somehow-or-another became a drug addict. You would do everything you could for them, you would pay for rehab, counseling, and the hospital, you would forgive them when they stole from you, and finally when you told them No, and cut them off, the act would hurt you far more than it did them. 
That is love, it is eternal, and you are willing to sacrifice your way of life, or life itself for your kindred. True love is what it is to love another as much and more than yourself. Through the covenant of marriage “the twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.”  Two people leave their families to become their own, it is so much more than a good idea at the time, it is forever.
Sadly the majority of the population do not see it this way.

    I will not simply fight and die for you, I will not simply commit passionate dual suicide as Juliet did for her Romeo. My love runs much deeper than that, and is far beyond the serotonin induced feeling driven by my loins, I will be there forever, I will raise children with you, I will be there when life doesn't feel so fun, and I will hold you hand when time has stripped our youth a beauty. Because that is love, it never ends, it never runs out, and it never gets board.

    It is easy to “jump on a grenade for love” it is much harder to live with love, yet it is infinitely more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment